Saturday, November 17, 2007

Downloadable Media

I really needed to get the lowdown on downloadable media. Not many patrons seem to take advantage of this service, or they do so from home without any help from me, so opportunities to field questions about about how to use ebooks etc. are infrequent. Maybe like me, people are still a little intimidated by the technology, and prefer to use the library in ways they are already familiar/comfortable with. Still, this is part of my job and I'm really glad we are addressing this topic in training.

I found the Overdrive tutorial a bit lengthy, and had to watch it at home because a.there was no time at work, and b.our computers reeeeeeeeeeally do not like to load video. I downloaded the Overdrive Media Console to my home computer and looked at the Harris County digital media catalog for awhile before choosing 101 Great Orchestral Classics vol. 4. Oh! It worked! The hauntingly beautiful Clair de Lune soon filled my headphones.

Now that I have taken the plunge, I am looking forward to exploring more digital library options. Come on in! The media's great!

No comments: