Thursday, May 1, 2008

#34 Geocoding and Geocaching

1. Washington D.C. is a great place to visit. The place abounds with history, great architecture, and has wonderful museums like the National Gallery and the Smithsonian. When I was there, there was so much to do that I missed touring the Washington Monument. Here it is, and it's coordinates are 38.888820, -77.033019.



View Larger Map

Note: I was in D.C. during the summer, and it was quite hot, so I ducked inside Union Station to get some relief from the heat. It was wonderfully cool, but I ended up staying inside a loooooong time because of the fantastic shops. It was even a browsers paradise! So ladies, and gents if you are so inclined, from the Washington Monument, follow The Mall west to the Capital, and then head north. On the map, Union Station has a blue "Metro" marker. I love those mixed maps with the satellite view and street names, and the click and drag feature.

2. There is actually a geocache or two near our library, too terribly convenient for this exercise to resist investigating. Here is the url:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=009a3107-8e42-449c-800c-a1437a3f2afd

As you can see, I still have trouble posting an actual link. :(
The GPS coordinates are N 30° 00.267 W 095° 09.288 . The cache is located near the recycling center, and is described as the traditional small box; actually it's supposed to be a waterproof match container with a log book inside. This cache was hidden by a man who, according to his profile, is a Nuclear Medicine Technologist. I always wondered what a Nuclear Medicine Technologist would do for fun. Anyway, I never did find the cache. The area is littered with trash from the recycling bins, glass, and is rife with fire ants. I poked at some stuff on the ground with a big stick, which I carried in order to defend myself against hostile insects, potential snakes, and lethal germs. I did find a small waterproof container, but it was a chewing tobacco tin with actual chewing tobacco still in it. Ewwwww! I concluded that, while I like the idea of a treasure hunt, I don't think I'm cut out for the "surprises". Maybe I just haven't found the right cache to seek. One individual who posted on this particular page has already found 827 caches, so somebody is indeed having a good time playing the geocaching game. Hey, I have an idea. Maybe there are some caches hidden in Union Station!?

Postscript: I looked up caches for the 20002 zip code. No caches in Union Station.

No comments: