Thursday, April 29, 2010

#86 Google Docs and Google Calendar

Online word processing/file storage programs have been around for awhile, are great time savers and meet a variety of computing needs. There are several online word processing programs, including as ThinkFree, Zohowriter, iNetWord, gOffice, and Google Docs. I've been using Zohowriter for my written work, and I like it a lot. It's like having a notebook for work projects, personal to do lists, correspondence, and business items that I don't have to carry. It doesn't get lost, forgotten, misplaced, dropped in a snow drift, or eaten by the dog. I don't have to worry about how much I put in it. There's enough room for everything, in one place, and it doesn't clutter up my desk or home. Plus, it's free. Magnificent!

One of the things I like about Google Calendar is the ability to create tasks lists, and check them off as they are completed. My organizational needs are more along the lines of don't-forget-to-submit-the-summer-camp-physical-by-May-1st, as opposed to be-in-charge-of-the-fundraising-dinner-for-500. So I could see myself using the tasks option more than the events option.

These tools are eminently useful and convenient. I really wish they had been available years ago....which got me to thinking. I wonder if, when ancient Sumerians saw less ancient Sumerians using a cart with wheels to haul a heavy load instead of dragging it, did they have a palm slap to forehead moment?

No comments: