Tuesday, February 23, 2010

#80 Movies

On my way to work I drive by two video stores. I used to patronize one of those stores on a regular basis, but I don't think I've been inside either of them for several years now. It's amazing to me that places like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster are even open, considering how quickly the video rental business has changed.

Instead of running out to the neighborhood video store, you can now order and receive movies without ever getting out of your PJs. Netflix lets you choose films from their collection; then they are mailed to your home. You pay a monthly fee and there are no late charges. This is a great deal and very convenient. My family already uses this service. When I check my mailbox at 3 pm on Saturday, I enjoy receiving my movies and treating my neighbors to the vision of me in plaid flannel.

You can get another sweet deal by using movie sites such as Hulu or The Auteurs which provide free access to full length films. I looked for the movie version of my library's book club selection for March, The Thin Man, by Dashielle Hammitt. No luck finding it on Hulu or The Auteurs. (I couldn't figure out where to look for full length movies on IMDB.) I finally found The Thin Man on Google Videos. It's wonderful to think that so many movies are literally only a few clicks away; talk about immediate gratification. I still prefer watching movies on my TV though, as that allows me to lounge. The larger TV screen seems more condusive to watching a movie with family and friends too.

Often times I don't pay attention to trailers at the beginning of DVDs. With Hulu trailers, I can look at a trailer when I have the time, and I don't get slammed with a half dozen all at once. I also have more control over the types of trailers I view. There are certain movies I'm not remotely interested in seeing. Hulu's brief trailer description makes it easier for me to skip over the trailers for those movies altogether. Since I generally like films about dancers or dancing, I decided to watch a trailer for the documentary "Dancing Across Borders", about a talented Cambodian street dancer who comes to New York to train in classical ballet. This is the first I've heard of this movie, and now I really want to see it! It will be in theatres March 26, 2010. Look for me to be dancing to my mailbox in plaid flannel as soon as the dvd becomes available.

No comments: