Monday, October 15, 2007

Discerning Del.icio.us



Today was not a good day for iHCPL training. No one at our branch could get the 8 minute video to load, so it was difficult for a beginner (read:ME) to get a grip on exactly what this website is all about. Also, the weather was uncooperative and our power went out! As far as I know, it's still out at the library. I am writing from my home computer where I have access to the wonderful world of electricity. A question has occurred to me: Why is a website which is supposed to help you organize and do research named for a word that makes me want to prepare snacks or run to the store for ice cream? Somehow or other, this seems like a marketing ploy, kinda like the "Juicy" clothing line, and when I feel like I'm being manipulated, I tend to resist. I really and truely want to like Del.icio.us, honest! Maybe the challenge of this exercise for me will be finding a practical use for this new site. Somehow or other, being the 691st person to bookmark the Simpson's Movie Avatar site doesn't fill me with any sense of accomplishment. Also, I'm not thrilled with the possibility that someone could "find me" through my tags, and see everything I have bookmarked. This strikes me as a potential gold mine for whoever (i.e. anyone collecting data or tracking "hits" for whatever reason) and makes me a bit leery.

No comments: